Friday, January 18, 2008

The cleanse

So starting Sunday morning (well, Saturday night), I will be beginning a 7-day fast. While the point of this fast is not to lose weight, but more of a systemic cleanse, that will be a necessary and welcome side benefit. I recently bought a scale, and am disappointed to see myself hovering around 181-4. I would definitely like to get back down to the mid 170s or even lower.

Details on what I'm about to do can be found here. This is the 'product' that I will be using. While I haven't done this particular 'diet', I have done similar ones over the years, but I haven't done one since my kids, so at least 2001, and as I check Quicken, I see nothing since Jan 2008, which is when I migrated to Quicken from MacMoney. So, it has been at least 10 years.

You might ask, why now? Well, I have undergone some recent life changes, topic for another post, and have also realized that I need to get in a little better shape, take better care of myself, and I figure this is a good springboard to do that. The fasting portion shouldn't be that difficult, because I have always been able to ignore food cravings. And with all of the shakes and supplements, there will be enough activity going on, and with the schedule of something every 1.5 hours, it will engage my attention enough that I don't dwell on it. About the only issue will be that I will be cooking for the kids at night, and will not be able to eat with them. I guess I'll just have to make them really crappy food that I won't miss... So no drinking for a week, I expect I won't really make it out of the house that much in general. The biggest issue will be the UCPC conference on Saturday, the last day of the cleanse. I will have to cart around all my pills and shakes in a backpack or something. And now that I'm actually 'presenting'. Oy! Maybe I'll talk about it re: Professionalism in ultimate.

As part of this personal renewal, I also purchased a set of barbells. Yes, funny I know. There have been too many situations recently where I have had to lift something, or do something upper body that has resulted in sore arms, general aches or even what would feel like bone-level soreness. I have never possessed any real upper-body strength (hucking is all technique...), but another facet of aging is bone loss, etc. And resistance training is the best thing to combat that. So I will be beginning a workout program to try and strengthen my upper body. There is no way I have the patience, wherewithal or money to join a gym, so I'm going to have to do it at the house. The barbells will go in the TV room so I can work while I catch up on my 'shows'. Unfortunately, the writers strike is a little annoying, but I guess it is giving me a chance to clean up the house also.

I also have a spinning bike that I purchased from Bryan Doo a few years ago. I have to admit, trying to do spinning alone is pretty lame. I haven't used it that much, and I'm not sure these workouts will extend to that, although I think I'm going to try and do the whole tabata thing on the bike that the Jims talk about (Paramello and Biancolo). That will be a lot easier mentally for me than sitting on the damn thing for 45 minutes and trying to vary a workout.

So, barbells (the Bowflex 5-50 pounder for space reasons) and a spinning bike. I guess I'll have to dig up a bench from somewhere so I have more variety in my upper body stuff, but we'll start with the little baby steps.

I will keep you posted next week in excruciating detail on the progress of the cleanse. Maybe I'll do a daily journal on how I feel, and whether the toxic cleansing is really having an impact on my physical and mental wellbeing. Stay tuned!

5 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

bench is good. there's a lot of stuff you can do with a physio ball (like bridge with your shoulders on it and do one armed dumbell press, engages core, isolating the one arm makes lots of little muscles fire)... a bosu (bosa?) whatever 'half ball' deally is great for standing on as you do vertical row/military press whatever, againg, develops stabilization/proprioception... dumbell squats, single or both leg good on the bosa ball... have fun.

what's tabata again/ high intensity intervals?

1:32 PM, January 18, 2008  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Jim Biancolo talks about it length at

http://www.leanandhungryfitness.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.20047/tabata_intervals

Yes, it is the high intensity workouts.

2:26 PM, January 18, 2008  
Blogger Frank Huguenard said...

Sonne has decent products but you really don't need all that stuff for a 7 day fast. I did a 40 juice fast last year (and three 7 days since) drinking nothing but fresh made juice (you have less then one hour to drink the juices before the enzymes die off).

The juice fast is an extremely easy way to detox your system while getting all the nutrients that you need. The weight loss is just the side benefit.

F

3:39 PM, January 18, 2008  
Blogger Seigs said...

Geez. You wouldn't do shit when you were playing with us, and now that you are retired from elite ultimate you get the weights and the diet?

Go figure...

9:18 PM, January 18, 2008  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

What are you talking about? Dude, it was a point of pride that I was still able to compete without all the hard work. OK, well, something sort of along those lines. Now that I'm in Masters, I have to work out to keep up with the old guys. The young guys didn't know any better... :) Of course, I'm old for the old guys league also. Oh well, I didn't time all of this very well. Watch us get spanked at Worlds. Maybe that's why I'm working out. Yeah, that's it...

11:47 PM, January 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home