Sunday, October 16, 2005

More on older players

Jim and Luke talked a little bit about old players.

http://parinella.blogspot.com/2005/09/old-people-can-still-play.html
http://mlsmith.blogspot.com/2005/09/just-pooped.html

Luke said

1) Old people quit because
a) They don't have the energy. They don't have time or whatever to train. I think Doo helped keep some of the boston guys going. He also helped me get Dylan back after a cheap shot. Classy.
b) They don't like young guys game style. The last thing an old guy wants is to play 'the big open high turnover game.' Yes, chicks dig the long ball. Go have fun at potlatch. My point? As each old guy is replaced by a younger guy, a team's game becomes more and more wide open, more turnover prone... etc.


a) I can attest to Bryan Doo keeping my career going. Prior to him joining the team, we had never really done much in the way of agility workouts. The first year he was there, I was a regular at his Thursday night agility workouts, and for the first time, we were doing things that truly helped my game. Working on quickness, explosiveness, etc., things that are critical to the short-cutting/handler position. I felt a HUGE difference at nationals that fall in my first step. And then there was the Furious game. I mean, you really shouldn't expect to win a game where your team turns it over 3 times, but whatever...

As for the time or whatever to train, yes, the mind ossifies a little as one gets older, and maybe I'm a little less psyched to do the track workouts, but the number one issue as I have been getting older has been family.

There are a number of stages in that. First you start with the girlfriend. Then that evolves into a long-time girlfriend. As you both get older, she will start to want more of your time. Then, if you get married, that is a whole new level of commitment, both emotional AND physical/time. Now she has a more legitimate call for your time. The final most difficult step is children. Now family really has ownership on your time. Most people can get away with it with one kid without too many problems, but once you move past the first kid, it gets REALLY hard. You see the professional baseball players, Lance Armstrong, etc., people with families who continue playing their sports, but then you realize that IS their job, whereas we are doing it as a hobby, and there are so many demands on your time.

I have been blessed to have been playing high-level ultimate for the past 4 years while raising now 4-yr old twins. Interestingly enough, I have probably played some of my perceived best/most efficient (here defined as fewest turnovers, which probably also corresponds with fewer long throws as the newer players are not as aware that I actually used to throw long, and the built in long cut isn't there) ultimate at nationals the last few years. However, the demands/sacrifices to be able to continue playing have been tough. This was the first season that I was actually unable to attend a few tournaments that I WANTED to attend for one family related reason or another. And that has been very difficult for me. And that pendulum isn't going to swing back the other way.

Generically I guess I'm saying that if you really want to continue playing elite as long as possible, stay single, or develop the sport so that there is some real money in it. Otherwise, it is going to be hard to justify the time. I think my situation has been the exception to the rule, and that has been with an exceptionally understanding wife, who is becoming less accepting as our kids are getting older. Last season, I brought my son out to most of our fall practices while she took our daughter, and that was a compromise for that season. That wasn't going to work out this season, although I did bring out both kids for one practice while my wife was out of town. I would be interested to know how many other elite players (fine, players who play elite, they don't have to be elite, didn't mean to assume...) have played in the fall series with two children, much less for multiple seasons.

Oh, and I'm terrified just thinking of how I'm going to keep the weight off once I stop playing... I'm going to have to find some sport to play, and golf ain't gonna do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home