Friday, December 23, 2005

Ultimate history book

So, I've done some lengthy skimming of the book, and in-depth reading of the 'glory' days of the DoG run. My initial reactions are not nearly enough discussion about ME. And there is a factual error that I corrected with Tony and company, and they do quote me partially, but here is the REAL story...

So, we arrive at the 90+ team tourney at Lehigh, Discs in the Mist. We are going under a new name, with our spunky roster of 12 or so, and the tournament directors did not recognize us, so they put us in the B division. We eventually forced the tourney directors to completely reorganize the tourney so that we could move back up to A (they were most helpful in that regard). However, while we're talking to the director, I notice that Jordan Haskell had submitted our team name as Death and Glory. I immediately lay into him, saying 'Are you crazy? We can't be DaG!' I argued vehemently that we should be Death OR Glory, which would shorten more appropriately as DoG. We did a few more tournaments as DaG (apparently, according to Jim), but it was definitely my idea to switch to DoG, but without the leverage to force it. It is spurious for Cork to say, oh it was my idea because I had the dog. Talk about revisionist history...

Other than that, the book is pretty sweet. I haven't had a chance to look at the DVD yet, but I'm looking forward to it. And to everyone who is actually reading this prior to the holidays, happy whatever you celebrate.

Another addendum... Wednesday night we had a mini DoG reunion (well, 6 guys), and I brought a few copies of the books, since they hadn't made it to us in the mail yet. Well, there was a lot of excitement, and poring over the relevant sections, looking at pictures, looking for people they recognized. What is great is the index has the name of every person that appears in the book, and what pages they are on. So you can quickly look yourself up, or just scan through the index and see what names you recognize. All in all, it is a very cool experience. Adam, Tony, and Joe have done a great service to the game by bringing forth the book. I suspect that the book signing in Boston will have a significantly larger showing than that in NY, if just for the number of players that are up here, and the fact that it will be on a weekend, and not a Monday night. Looking forward to it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

did my article stay in?

3:36 PM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

You know, Luke, I don't know who you bl** to get that article in the book, but yes, it is still there. I laud your political connections. Must be the blog...

4:24 PM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Luke said...

talent, al.
talent.

6:02 PM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Dix, all I know is that at Lehigh, I was kvetching at Jordan about the name as he was staring at me with a befuddled look as I was saying how stupid DaG was.

Ahhhh, this is just going to be one of those things...

11:20 PM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Corey said...

i got a copy for x-mas and had it for less than one minute before i spotted an error on page 133. If you can find it and post here what it was, you win a free tee-shirt from Alex.

disclaimer - there are no free tee shirts.

3:25 PM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Hmmmmm. The only thing I could tell was maybe that Grant picture was NOT in the game described? Not my region... Do I win my tee shirt back?

7:12 PM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger Corey said...

buzz. sorry, keep looking.

12:25 PM, December 27, 2005  
Blogger Bob Krier said...

Furious beat Ring in 2002, not 2003 as the caption indicates.

5:57 PM, January 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home