Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Boston Corporate League 2006: part deux

Played in my third game of the season last night, and the first one where I didn't bring the kids. Naturally, this led to a long night, but more on that later. I quite possibly set a personal record in terms of total turnovers in one game. I had to consult with a teammate to try and get an accurate count, and I think we settled on 8. I'm sure Jim will chime in with a rememory about some game in East Podunk, but I'll stick with this one for now.

What was scary was how many of my turnovers were on throws under 10 yards. The disc definitely felt uncomfortable on my short throws to the extent that I wasn't really sure what was going to happen half the time. The long throws were far more effective and controllable than the short ones. My one caveat is that I was playing with significant achilles and calf issues on my left foot, enough that I didn't do much in the way of sprinting or sudden direction changes.

As is our wont, we came out in zone in a significant upwind/downwind game. The zone was very effective for the first half, even though they did have some players. Their bigger issues were having quality poppers. My calf issues actually led me to volunteer to playing exclusively point as it is much easier to control when you have to run or not (no chasing after bad throws etc.). It's been a long time since I played point, but I have to admit, 1) it was fun, and 2) I was very effective, resulting in at least 2 direct turnovers plus 2 or 3 more when it was ultimately a result of my marking. I may have to explore that some more if DoG O plays zone this fall. My zone positions have always been more of an issue of finding spots for all the other players, then I will fill in the rest, because I can play most of the spots reasonably effectively except for deep deep.

The other team finally got their act in gear for the second half (we took half 8-6) and scored on roughly 5 straight zone possessions. In my infinite wisdom, I made the team switch to man flick, and the other team started turning it over again. We ultimately won the game 15-13 or so, but it was pretty exciting and unreasonably close. At this point SwillMillGrill is undefeated on the season in actual games played (one loss by forfeit). Unfortunately the team may not even be able to get enough people for the tournament (I'll be at ECC), but that's not why this team plays anyway. It is for the Mill and Grill of the regular season.

Since I was kidless, I took advantage by doing the full post game mill of guns, drinks, grilling provided by Russ Robar, and then frisbee golf into the wee hours. There were five of us playing golf, and I won going away (at lesat -4 on the next lowest guy) except for some bogus rule change on the last hole where they said who wins the hole wins the game. Naturally I was the only guy to go over the wrong fence while the others ended up in a 4-way tie for 'first'. But we know who really one.

Other highlights:

* Tyler leaving after the first 9 holes, so everyone pelted his car with their discs as he drove away. Naturally he responded by slowly driving over some of them.
* Phineas playing the entire game in 2 left cleats. Apparently they looked similar enough that he had brought the wrong set from home.
* "One of the best shows ever was Guns and Roses opening for Aerosmith"
* "I would never pay for Chicago and Huey Lewis and the News"
* After we finally finished golf, and people were getting ready to leave, Russ immediately says gun and grill (breaking out the grill again!). Naturally, I was done, so I got into my car and pulled away, only to swing right around and pull in next to the grill to officially finish off the festivities.
* The long retelling of the origin of faaiiiiii (to be heard these days after a timeout is called).
* Offering the Tufts police a burger because after the second grilling we had one left, and Sack stepping up to negotiate with the Tufts cops… "okay but be done in 20 minutes"

7 Comments:

Blogger parinella said...

When I heard that you may have set a personal record for turnovers, I was guessing 13, maybe 16, definitely no higher than 20. But 8? Even if I had your memory, I would be reasonably certain that 8 turnovers is not your personal record. In fact, I'm surprised that anyone even noticed anything out of the ordinary.

2:24 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Hey, I'm no Idris. Seriously though, something like this could only happen in Corporate because that would be the only place I would be left in long enough to accumulate 8 turnovers. The other thought I had was the 4th of July Boulder gale force cross-wind game, but actually that would have set your personal record, because you were the only person who was getting that curving backhand far enough upfield in the truest battle of field position that I have ever played.

And if we were small-squadded to leave me in, then having that many turnovers would have meant too quick a game.

But like I said, leave it to Jim to chime in.

2:38 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Jim Biancolo said...

I've been dealing with achilles issues since Easterns. Wrote a bunch about it. It took awhile, but I'm pretty sure I've turned a corner following some of the advice therein. Felt pretty good at Log Jam; I'll see if there's any aftermath at pickup tonight. Drop me an e-mail (available on my blog) if you want to hear any more about what's been working for me.

3:24 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

idaho: well, a lot of these turnovers were off of either pulls or first catch after the pull and then throw. jpwever, i wasn't a complete cripple, and it is still corporate league. if I can't get open here then I have no business playing open.

jim: Naturally I made a quick visit to the DoG team massage therapist, Russ Robar, yesterday afternoon, and already I'm feeling 90% better. I will basically have calf issues the rest of the time I keep playing the game, so I have to remember doing my calf exercises (haven't looked at your site yet), especially the soleus stretch. Every time I get hurt is when I have forgotten, or gotten lazy, and have not stretched the calf during offdays.

3:44 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Jim Biancolo said...

Cool, glad to hear it's manageable!

4:02 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Luke said...

does the ratio hold true in 'dog' turnovers as well as years?

4:04 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Luke said...

i've also heard to strengthen the calves by lifting on a stair w/ two feet, lowering on one... switch, repeat w/ knee bent...

4:34 PM, July 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home