Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Nationals 2006 - Day 3

What a surprise! Saturday was windy also. I think this has been the most consistent and high wind that we have experienced in quite some time through the first 3 days. We lined up against Sockeye, number one seed on our side of the bracket, for the 9:30 quarterfinals. Amazing how the detail for this game is already starting to fade. We traded the first few points, and then Sockeye started to exert themselves, and we folded in the wind. We continued to be unable to find the spots that we had found all season. Sockeye went on 2 3-point runs to take half 8-3. We received to start the second half, and finally we got our first break a point later to make it 9-5. We traded a few more points before we finally began our run.

3 defensive scores later, I really started to believe. I was running up and down the sideline, shouting instructions and psyche to help them on the field. I was definitely getting excited. Even Jim was following the action up and down the sidelines, even shouting at his fellow sideline mates to get up to where the D needed help. We got the score to 11-10, pulling upwind, basically 2 downwind and 1 upwind break. At 11-10, we got a mac daddy D, but Mo pulled in the garbage, and Sockeye squelched the rally. Worse, we gave up another upwinder the following point, and all of a sudden the game was slipping away. And slip away it did, as Sockeye finally won the game 15-11.

Despite the final score, this felt exactly like the semis last year, which I think they won 15-12. Even though the final margin made it seem like we weren't really in the game, it really felt like a game of inches, or one or two plays away from winning/making a difference. Even in last year's game, we had a chance to score a late upwind break that would have pulled us within 1 going downwind (14-13 maybe?) and then who knows? By the same token, on the Seattle side, they might be feeling like DoG did back in the day that it was just a matter of time before they exerted themselves and won the game. Hey, nothing to say that we aren't both right... and maybe we just catch them before they start exerting, or the exertion is mistimed.

Thus ended our run at nationals, coming in with our highest seed in 4-5 years, and leaving with a big razz to blowing seed (sorry Adam Goff). Naturally, Sunday was spectacular weather with just a lick of wind to keep teams honest. If we have that kind of wind throughout the rest of the tournament, there is a totally different result. But as it stands, I feel like we were exposed as a team. We didn't have the throws or composure to compete in the high wind (!?). My personal performance was completely disappointing, especially coming off of last year and what is now my series of 'last runs' a la Jim. I know Jim has mentioned over in his Q&A talking about 'getting the band back together'. It has its temptations, and based on the way I played and was subbed as a result, becomes ever more attractive. We'll see.

Oh, and for those people on rsd who are complaining about why DoG (and Ring) didn't play the subsequent games, I could try and cobble some reasoned explanation about why we chose not to play that game, but screw it. While a few people on the team wouldn't have minded playing Rhino, I would say the majority felt as I did, and probably almost as strongly. Unless someone was going to penalize my team somehow in a way that really mattered, there was NO *&($*@&#($)*&@# way I was going to play that game. I'm still shocked that Rhino and Revolver actually played out a game.

Other highlights:

* Apparently I'm a marked man in shotguns. At one point I'm in the beer tent and this beefy guy named Joe Lott comes up to me and says something about shotgunning and how I have a reputation and he wants to shotgun me. Naturally I have no idea who this guy is, and when you have a streak as long as I do (probably 15-20 years since I last lost a shotgun), you sort of almost want to play it safe, like Roy Jones Jr. did taking on chumps that he knew he would beat. I finally give into the guy, but say that I want it to be just him and I at the back of the tent. I'm already starting to feel full, but I still can't resist. So, this guy may think he is a gunner, but he is completely unaware of gravity being his friend. First he thumbs the can open, but with the open side down so he spurts a lot of beer. Then he preps the pull tab, and partially opens it a little so it starts leaking a little. Naturally, I do a biter to open mine, then do the rest with my thumb (cutting my thumb in the process). Then I impose on him that we have to change cans. We do. He has one friend/witness there who does the countdown. 3-2-1 go. I'm feeling the pressure. When you are in a real race, as opposed to gunning with a bunch of chumps, there comes a point where you think your are pretty much done, but don't want to risk another gulp and suck down air and then spike, because you have lost a fraction of a second. I do my assumption, spike my can, and there is a tiny bit of beer left. His can hits the ground a fraction (but obvious) of a second behind mine, and he complains that I have too much beer left. He picks up my can, I pick up his, a little beer comes out of both, and he crows that he has won. Fortunately, his buddy looks at him after we argue a little, and tells Joe that my can hit first. Joe is stunned, still complains, and his buddy tells him a few more times that I won, and I thank god that I had at least one witness.

I can't remember if I gun against Joe anymore that day, but I definitely some him everywhere after that. It was very weird.

* More on gunning. Apparently, Doug Moore reports that at 1AM, I was doing more guns against the Metal guys on an individual basis. By this time, I am so stumbling (something) that I can't see straight, and am informed of this fact. However, Doug says that he has never seen me so competitive as I lined up to face off against Will Neff, holding my can fiercely with great intensity. Apparently I beat Will, and I did at least one other gun against Ryan Scribner. Word on the street is that I lost, but since I don't remember, and I was about 100 sheets to the wind, I will take that loss with a grain of salt and carry it over to the next time I gun against Ryan. I know that I have gunned against him at other times, and it was close, but I hadn't lost to him, so I have faith that when the chips are down (and I am slightly more sober), I will win. Feel free to comment/disagree.

* Mr. Bigs is definitely becoming the post Saturday hangout for the elite/eliminated teams. Many carbombs and ciders were had.

* When Juho Rantalaiho took my car home, unfortunately one our passengers, affectionately known as foodbag, was unable to make it home without making a contribution to the Sarasota vomit fund. And more unfortunately, the window lock was on so he wasn't able to drop the window in time and some of it got on the inside of the right passenger door. Fortunately, the Dollar rent a car people did not notice it because it was on the far side of the car, so we escaped without extra fees, although it was a smelly ride to the airport the next day after the finals.

* Taking a 'nap' on a sand dune amidst the brush at the after hours Boston beach party. 'nuff said.

14 Comments:

Blogger parinella said...

http://ultimate.scoreomatic.com/v4/view/game.aspx?tournId=7946&viewId=8964

Hmm, I could have sworn that it was 8-4 at half and that we pulled downwind and they scored, then we scored upwind to make it 9-5, starting the comeback. And that it was 12-11, us with the disc about 20 yards out from scoring. But apparently not.

The 9-16 games should be played, but the only reasons to do the 5-8 is if they actually mean something on their own. The only reason they mean something is if matters whether you finish 5th or 8th, which generally would happen only if a wildcard or a spot to Worlds is at stake.

10:08 AM, November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope both you and Jim play again next year...if nothing else, to keep these blogs going. They are more informative than most other Ultimate-related sites (I filled out the UPA online survey yesterday and chose 'blogs' as my top choice when asked where I get most of my Ultimate updates from).

11:14 AM, November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gag...barb...

Like these guys need another ego boost.

1:49 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

After my Nationals performance, perhaps I do need one...

2:12 PM, November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two things that are very bad for ultimate:

1) wind

2) coed during the fall series

5:09 PM, November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems that those that whine about coed in the fall just can't throw in the wind and want the series location moved. nut up, boys.

10:10 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger $ said...

I just love anonymous entries...

Anywho...definitely not one of my better performances either...

It was good to see you and Jim. Although, I'm not sure if I saw you on Saturday night at the Daquiri Deck or not...though it may be just that I am trying to black out my conversation with Bruss. Well, Bruss says that I talked with him...but you can't trust that guy.

Anyone know how I got my black eye?

$

11:18 PM, November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave it to you -- I confess.

11:15 AM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Cash, still can't believe you are publicly admitting you were at the Daiquiri Deck... It was good to catch up, next time hopefully under better circumstances.

Jeez, are we going to start the fall coed series discussion here? Hope not. Although moving to a site that has slightly less wind I think would be good for the sport in general, since it has mostly sucked for the last 4 years or so. If you could guarantee it to be like it was for the finals, that would be PERFECT.

11:34 AM, November 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the fact that you spend as much time talkling about the drinking escapades as you do the games! Must have something to do with the outcome! Glad to see you are not taking yourself so seriously!

Masters Hack

6:44 PM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Hey, that was the highlight of the day. Had to talk about it. Just wait. If I end up playing masters next year, I will have NOTHING else to talk about...

7:43 PM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Juan Sebastian said...

these blogs are the most informative ultimate sites there are. keep updating, it's one of the only ways to get news here in colombia. what did you think about colombia getting 3rd at junior worlds?

12:22 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

I'll do my best to serve. You know, I was out of town during the Junior Worlds, much to my chagrin (in my own backyard!), but I was very impressed with the Colombian results. I didn't read much about it, so at the time was wondering whether it was truly a Colombian team, or whether they had put together a team of US players with Colombian heritage, but I guess these guys are for real, which is awesome! Keep up the good work. I was especially surprised to see them beat the Australians.

12:31 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Juan Sebastian said...

The players on the Colombian team were entirely Colombian, a few from Medellin and the rest were from Bogota. One of those players, the one who scored the Universe Point against Australia for the bronze is an ex-teammate of ours. Too bad he bitched out and left.

9:17 AM, November 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home