Monday, January 21, 2008

The cleanse, Day 2

So, I started the fast Sunday morning. In true fashion, I did a little excess the previous night, going to a housewarming and not getting to sleep until around 3:15. So instead of starting at 7AM, I didn't roll out of bed until 8:30 feeling a little hungover.

I made the first shake and fortunately I had some apple juice in the fridge, otherwise it wouldn't have gone down too smoothly, although I barely put any juice in it. I did a quick assessment/count and I figure I will be getting at most 500 calories per day probably closer to 300 depending on how much apple juice I use in the shakes.

I had to run to Goaltimate at 10AM so had my pills right before leaving, and then brought stuff to make my next shake since I didn't know how long Goaltimate would go. We are running a 5 week league right now, so I have additional incentive to go. We ended up winning our game that day 3 games to 1 (it was REALLY frickin' cold, so we blew off best of 7). Then back to the house to clean up some more, more pills, more shakes as I tried to make up for the lost time. Watched the Pats game on the projector in the living room. While not stellar, it WAS an exciting game, considering only a 14-12 lead in the 4th quarter. Then watched some of the Packers loss. After TV was over, I sparked up the sauna in the basement and did 45 minutes there, sweating out all the water I had drunk during the day. Hey, in for a penny, in for a pound.

The toughest thing about it so far was watching football and seeing the fast food commercials. I rarely feel like I have to eat because I'm hungry, but I DO enjoy the taste of food, and that is definitely what I miss the most. Even today, I don't really feel especially hungry, except for a low-level emptiness which is pretty easy to ignore.

I weighed myself yesterday when I got out of bed, and weighed in at 184, with some excess fluid and food weight. This morning I was down to 181. It will be interesting to see what I weigh by the end of the week. I'm figuring somewhere around 175-77 but we'll see. Hell, more would be great, but I don't have my hopes up.

4 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

sounds more like a couchburning than a housewarming.

wow. i'm fascinated by the process. i just can't do that. i think i could lose some weight (i'm american) and there is no saying a few less pounds wouldn't help the ski racing (except my classic ski flex depends pretty critically on my weight)... i guess i don't feel the mental fortitude.

i keep waiting for 'fast day 8'.

"called in sick when my spirit animal (the cloverfield beast) suggested that my time would be better spent watching the home shopping network'...

good luck.

8:52 PM, January 21, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have you thought about playing goaltimate on a 3-500 calorie a day diet? seems dangerously low. I assumed you'd be lying around for a week

4:41 PM, January 22, 2008  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Chris: I definitely have. That's why I timed it like this. I started Sunday morning so had plenty of leftovers from Saturday, then I plan to have a good meal next Saturday night and then Sunday breakfast. Hopefully that should tide me over for Goalty Sunday morning. Trust me, I had to think this through very closely.

4:53 PM, January 22, 2008  
Blogger maplerowfarm said...

I've done similar fasts but with less calories and only fruit/veggie juice in small quantities from a juicer. additionally drank "detox" teas of different varities, as that was my goal (I don't need no weight loss, man). It's difficult to do when you are diabetic but I was able to mange it well.
I find that it is a helpful annual ritual for me and especially enjoy no alcohol, which i continue for a month after the fast. try to stay off the alcohol for a month, will make that cold beer taste even better when you finally do and will detox you even more than a week of no alcohol will.
I'm lucky in that when I see fast food commercials they make me lose my apetite rather than whet it.

Matty Jefferson

1:08 PM, February 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home