Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Kaimana Klassic 22 - Kauai

Phew. The last time I had a travel day this long was India. Woke up at 5:45AM Tuesday morning, showered, got the kids up at 6:20, we all drove to the airport and got there in 20 minutes, took off at 8AM, land in Minneapolis, take off to San Francisco, land no problem (the sierras and rockies are spectacular!), wait 1:45, same plane to Oahu, land 7PM local, catch a puddle jumper to Kauai at 8:30, land at 9PM. Including the 5 hour time difference, 18 hours in transit. And coming back is even worse, but I don't have to worry about that for a week.

Jet lag tip #1. Melatonin. I popped 3 melatonin around 11PM local when I crashed and I woke up at 6:30 (11:30AM EST) feeling refreshed. I NEVER sleep in late. I expect that the same thing will happen tonight when I pop 3 more and then I should be acclimated going forward. Checked outside and it was pitch black, so got my things together and headed out to the beach and caught the sunrise.



Got in the rental car and started towards the West coast and Waimea Canyon. At one point I just missed a pullover for Hanapepe Overlook but there was another one a little rockier 40 yards down. Pull over in that one, walk back and take some pictures, go back to the car and pull onto the highway only to realize that my front left tire is now COMPLETELY flat. I check the trunk there is an inflated donut but NO jack to lift the car. I had brought my Avis contract fortunately, call them and they say they will send a tow truck. 5 minutes later a Jeep pulls up right behind me with a guy and a girl. They ask if I need help, he gets out a jack, 4 minutes later the new tire is on, I thank them profusely and I'm on my way, 8 miles from Waimea Canyon Drive. More about them later. I call Avis and tell them that I no longer need help but I'm going to continue on with the donut and stop by the airport later to exchange cars and they have no problem with that. Up to Waimea Canyon with numerous overlooks before reaching the 'official' one.



Take LOTS of pictures. Of course I had forgotten to bring my Hawaii guidebook but fortunately my GPS came to the rescue with its special attractions links. I was able to hit all of the sights that I had planned for the east side of the island. Keep in mind that if you go to the Waimea Canyon lookout when you come back down, you HAVE to turn right into Kokee State Park and follow that road ALL the way to the end to the Kalalau overlook, which gives you an incredible view of the Kalalau valley going out to sea.



On the way back to my hotel (the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel next to Lydgate Park) I hit Puu scenic road, the Menehune swinging bridge which was this very shaky footbridge over a river, the tree road, Wailua Falls, Opaekaa Falls, and finally a dip in the water at Lydgate Park before a little hot tub, shower, and then blogging. Tomorrow is the east/north side, hiking up the Na Pali Coast to the Hanakapia'ai beach and falls, followed by more knickknack side trips and waterfalls on my way back. Good conditioning for the upcoming Kaimana Klassic...

One last bit. On the way to the airport from Ninini point and lighthouse (where I had lunch) I was going through an intersection when the car coming the opposite way turned left in front of the car in front of me. Huge collision and I have to violently swerve to the left and brake to miss the conflagration. Well, the car coming the opposite way was the same jeep that had helped me with my tire! So much for good deeds being rewarded.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marshall said...

Karma is a capricious bitch.

3:49 PM, February 12, 2009  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Yep. Poor sap. That'll learn him.

1:16 AM, February 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home