Wednesday, August 06, 2008

WUGC 2008 - Day 3

So most normal tournaments are over by now. And yet it is the third day of worlds. We had another late start with the first game at 10:30 against France. I recently posted on Eurodisc about how annoyed I was that France hadn't sent an Open team in the last 8 years (including this year). Naturally it caused quite and uproar, and you wouldn't believe how many off-list responses I got complaining about how classless/spiritless I was. Regardless, I had caught up with the French Masters team at the opening showcase game, and had gotten a lot of agreement from them on my complaints.

My turnovers continued in this game. On the first point I threw a full field backhand to Alec Ewald, and he played the man not the disc and let it go over his head, even though he had a clean bid on it. This game we broke out the ho stack (Huck & Hope tm). The O played it for the whole game. During the opening huddle I spoke about how we were now going to be more aggressive... Then a little later in the game we got a turn back, I received a pass and looked up field. I didn't really have a force and Jim was in the middle of the field cutting deep. I uncork a long backhand, admittedly a little low, as he curls back under. We theorized that it was the furthest a pass had landed from the nearest receiver. So by the end of the game I was still 0-x on long backhands.

I'm in my room right now with Jim, JohnBar, Dugan, and Husak. Husak is joking about posting on 70-40 about how Alex has the most turnovers on the team to this point. And I would have to agree. I haven't reached superstar status yet where I'm able to bury my team, but I'm trying...

Husak also said that Corey is wondering where his invitation is. We also had the discussion at dinner at the Sailing Center that I invented Home & Away (not really), but more importantly, that I HATE it. Cuz you have to not only know the force, but where your sideline is, as opposed to just the righty-bias game.

Then another long break between games. The 4 hour byes are very tough, especially when you blow through the first game in little over an hour to extend your bye to 4.5 hours. Paul Greff and I went over to the stadium and watched the Sweden-Japan women's game. The Swedes got bagled and didn't look very good. Then it was naptime in the stadium while watching the Women's jrs Finland v. Australia. Finally it was time for our game against Japan, who had surprisingly lost to Australia and more importantly, New Zealand. They had to beat us to start making some noise and make the semis. Finally, both the Offense AND my game showed up. We started on D, got the disc and gave it back. We go out on O, they pull it out of bounds and I bring it to the center mark. Quick juke by Jim and he breaks deep, I fire a long backhand for a goal. I FINALLY COMPLETED A LONG BACKHAND! The second offensive point, this time upwind, I threw another long backhand to Jim, this time not quite as good but he was able to catch it nonetheless. Finally, I had broken through. I would have had a great game except for 2 late turnovers, one a short backhand to Gary Bernard, and a hammer for the game to Bim that he wasn't quite ready for. But we won the game 17-13. Tomorrow morning brings the biggest game so far as we play Australia who is also undefeated.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the writeups Alex. Enjoying them. Do you have any thoughts on the Scandanavians? I have the impression that the game is on a real down-turn for the swedes et al. I was theorizing that an ageing group of guys aren't being replaced, but it may just be that with the Australians and Japanese stepping up, they just seem worse. Your comment on France also put this in mind. Sometimes the game doesn't take root.
scoop

2:41 AM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

It is definitely a different game today, with respect to the top teams. I just saw the Swedish woman against Japan, and they were terrible. I feel like the '96 team would have crushed this years version. I don't know enough to speculate, but I have been very surprised at the results.

3:08 AM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Paul P said...

Terrible or not, I imagine I could spend all day hanging out with the Swedish National Ultimate Team...

8:29 AM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Michael said...

Grounding all those backhands,

you're crunched in your trunk on whichever side. You need to find a therapist you can work with on connective tissues. Your bones, muscles, intelligence, training, are o.k., but you are still not in the right (core) shape whilst making the throw.

Hope this helps


Michael

10:42 PM, August 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home