Friday, August 08, 2008

WUGC 2008 - Day 5

Felt a little blah this morning. 5 straight nights of semi carousing is a little tougher at this age than it used to be. Although most of it has been hanging out in our room or other rooms on our floor. Exciting stuff I know. First game was against GB at the Jericho fields at 9AM. There are shuttles at 8:01 and 8:11 that will get us there in time. After a quick breakfast, we go out to the shuttle to find out that they are not running. Apparently there are 4 cars staffed by volunteers that are shuttling people to the fields. This of course will take forever and they talk about the schedule being modified at those fields. A taxi pulls up and 4 of us get in, we get to the fields. Most of our team gets there by 8:40 and GB appears to be there so we start on time.

Not too much exciting in this game as GB is very generous with the disc. We go on a bunch of runs, so the O gets put sometimes on D to practice and not get too cold. We end up winning 17-7. The best part was that I finally was able to give up the NO BRAIN shirt to Bobby Stoddard after he threw his second consecutive bad long throw. He still has it as of this evening. Simple huddle, and now we have a 3 hour wait for our next game. Namkung, Hollywood and I walk to the beach and out on the jetty and hang out for a bit, then it is back to the fields to 'watch' the Swedish women play the Irish. Eventually, it is time for our game against Venezuela. The Venezuelans always win the party with their omnipresent drums. It is a fun game, although Jim drops the 45 yard hammer that I uncork to him for a goal on the third point. He said that the moment he dropped it, he burst out laughing and it was pretty obvious as he was walking up to the line to play D with a shit-eating grin.

Later in the game makes an ill-advised throw to Marshall to let the Venezuelans reach 10, which they are very happy with. A good huddle after with dancing, drums, booze (bottles presented, not drunk). After our game, some more Swedish game watching before we head back to catch some mens quarterfinal action in the stadium. When I get there, Canada and the US have just finished, and GB is starting to put the hurt on Australia. Japan is pulling away from Sweden. GB ends up blowing out Australia in a surprise upset while Japan finishes Sweden, setting up Japan/US and GB/Canada.

Off to dinner and then shower and trading night. I brought a lot of old DoG jerseys plus a couple of US ultimate jerseys. I ended up getting rid of everything, including the hated purple and green jersey from 1999 which is still the most uncomfortable jersey I have ever worn. My biggest failure was to not get the French warmup jacket. I worked that for awhile, including trying to swing a 3-way trade including a Canadian jacket, offered my jacket plus a DoG shirt plus $20 and the one guy still said no. I ended up trading it for a Colombian warmup jacket which was pretty sweet. Other than that, I have now have a bunch of shirts that I will probably almost never wear. Oh well. Guess I'll have to trade them at Worlds in 2010...

They had some other fun stuff going on, with 5 ultimate setting up a bunch of carnival type games, including a test your vertical leap (not a chance I was going to do that, especially with the crowd watching), various ball games, measuring the velocity of your throw. The usual mingling with people, the 'Do you know who I was?' kind of blarney.

And now off to sleep. There is a good chance that there will be no Day 6 entry for awhile, as I will either be celebrating or drowning my sorrows FEROCIOUSLY tomorrow night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seigs said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:19 AM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Seigs said...

"as I will either be celebrating or drowning my sorrows FEROCIOUSLY tomorrow night."

I dunno Allosaurus...

First up in Hanover you bail on Sunday after a relatively modest night of drinking...then you turn down a shotgun...and just today you say something like, "5 straight nights of semi carousing is a little tougher at this age than it used to be". Maybe bingeing, but "semi carousing"?

My guess tonight is that you overdue it early and pass out in a lawn chair shortly after sunset.

6:22 AM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Bail on Sunday? What do you mean? I won that party. If you mean getting hurt, yes that was because I didn't drink enough water in the morning.

I've learned to pace myself...

10:35 AM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats, Al and everyone!!! Since Al hasn't updated yet (obviously, having won Worlds just minutes ago), I am posting to Day 4. Why not make it a little closer next time??? That was kind of boring. And what's up with UltiVillage charging $7 for the Webcast?!!

10:18 PM, August 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home