Saturday, April 29, 2006

Running...

This is definitely a topic that makes me cringe. I guess I started thinking about it because I ran on 4 different days this week. On Tuesday, 2 miles of track, 'sprinting' the straightaways and jogging the turns, Wednesday a 3 mile run up and down HUGE hills (I will NEVER do that again, the long downhill was very bad for the knees, but both local tracks were occupied), Friday more intervals, and then Saturday morning I brought the kids out to Harvard Stadium and then did 15 stadiums, 2 big, 1 small, repeat.

I believe this is the EARLIEST that I have run on my own in probably any season that I have ever played. I don't run on my own, except that since the elite season has started later and later over the last 5-10 years (the spring USED to mean something in elite), we haven't really started practicing until the June timeframe except for Worlds years for the most part. I typically have used the season itself, playing and the various track workouts to get into shape. Yeah, if somebody was paying me to play the game, then that would be a different story.

I find it exceedingly difficult to run just to run. The thought that a lot of my teammates are also running (who knows if they are, but I'll assume yes for now) helps a little bit, but it is REALLY hard to run without a 'program'. The carrot of getting ready for the season is pretty damned abstract. I have never minded doing the track workouts when I know the rest of the team is doing them, although I do them on my own these days because of kid timing issues. Or the sprints during practice, because I know everyone else is also doing them, and it is a 'team' thing. But off-season training is psychologically very hard.

Continuing on my earlier post about the upcoming season, this season's team is promising to have a LOT of personnel turnover, and the team ain't gettin' any older..., well, except for Jim and I. Rather, the median age of the team will definitely be dropping. I'm seeing the potential for great things, and I want to be involved in them, so it's time to start getting in shape early for once. Hell, I have even started trying to lose the 'winter' fat, although this winter was one of my better ones in terms of keeping off the excess.

So look out this year. I've even been working on a long forehand!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're just trying to make people feel worse when you get open on them.

12:41 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look out for Alex or look out for DoG?

1:40 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

winning: Hard to make people feel any worse than they have felt my entire career.

anonymous: pump up the volume, pump up the volume, pump up the volume, dance, dance.

interpret as you will...

2:14 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would the real Alex DeFondeville Please Stand Up?

It is clear that someone has commandeered the Count's Blog.....

3:23 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Wow, I just got back from vacation and I see that somebody hijacked my blog and posted something about me running 4 times last week? I will change my password forthwith and make sure this doesn't happen again. Can't have people thinking I'm actually going to get in shape this year...

3:39 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it actually going to help or hurt you to get in shape at this point in your career? You could pull a muscle. You could start thinking you need to "make cuts."

This is all wrong for you, Count.

7:42 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

Ahhh, I've already done it once before... In 2002, when we had Bryan Doo on the team (now one of two Celtics trainers), he rejuvenated my career with exercises that catered specifically to my role, ie., quickness, agility, and short sprints... Now I just have to figure out how to repackage myself yet again...

9:46 AM, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home